Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts
The key tasks are to assist and advise the Special Envoy in fulfilling her mandate, which is focused on:
- making recommendations regarding Germany’s future involvement in the Pacific and developing policy proposals with particular attention to climate change, energy partnership, and the economic recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic; and
- developing concrete proposals for our future presence in the Pacific region and taking initial steps to prepare for the opening of a new diplomatic mission.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- analysis and reporting on political, economic and social developments in the Pacific Island states;
- liaising with Australian, German and Pacific Island government bodies, civil society organisations, higher education institutions, businesses etc.;
- actively supporting the establishment of links and co-operations between German and Pacific Island organisations and institutions, including bilateral and multilateral cooperation projects in development assistance, climate policy and humanitarian aid;
- supporting the preparation and organisation of official visits (delegations and individuals) between Germany, Australia and the Pacific Islands;
- organizing events relevant to Germany’s current and future involvement in the Pacific.
Qualifications and skills required for this position:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent;
- relevant work experience is desirable;
- good knowledge of German (reading and writing);
- very good knowledge of English (speaking, reading and writing);
- very good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications;
- willingness to work flexible working hours as required;
- ability to work in a team, resilience, good organisational skills;
- good communication skills in liaising with authorities and enterprises;
- professionalism and engaging demeanour in an intercultural environment.
Candidates who are not Australian citizens must already have a valid Australian visa with work permit, sponsorship by the Embassy is not possible.
Candidates must agree to complete a security background check prior to employment.
The appointment will be for a fixed term from January 2023 until September 2023.
The work contract is based on local law and will be as per the standard contract terms of the German missions in Australia. The salary is based on the salary scheme for locally employed staff of the German missions in Australia. It is comparable to level Executive Level 1 in the APS.
Written applications (detailed CV, letter of motivation, copy of diplomas/degrees, references, passport copy (main page only), non-Australians: copy of Australian visa/work permit) can be submitted by e-mail only (all attachments in .pdf format, max. size 10 MB) by 23 December 2022 at the latest to
Only complete applications will be considered. We will only be contacting candidates who will be invited to an interview. Selection interviews are expected to take place in January 2023. We regret we are unable to refund travel expenses arising from interviews.
Information about the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Canberra and about data privacy rights pursuant to Article 13 of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) can be found online at:
* * *