Name declaration after divorce or death of a spouse


The name of a German national does not change automatically by divorce or death of a spouse. However, after the divorce or death of a spouse, it is possible to change the name back to the maiden name or a previous married name by name declaration.

In order to make a name declaration, please book an appointment on our website for a name declaration. On our website you can also find general information about the name declaration procedure. You must be present in person, since your signature has to be certified in order for the name declaration to become valid.

If your marriage was not divorced in Germany or a member state of the European Union, you will have to apply for recognition of divorce before you can change your name.

Recognition of divorce

You can also use this form if you wish to add the spouse's name, which did not become the married name, to your married Name, or to withdraw  it.

Documents required:

  • Completed name declaration form (please write in capital letters and do not sign the declaration yet)
    Name declaration form

Please provide the original and two photocopies of the following documents:

  • Your valid passports or German identity card (Personalausweis)
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Proof that you bear a so called “married name” (Ehename) according to German law (name certificate from the German Registry Office, excerpt from the family book / Marriage Register or German marriage certificate)
  • Divorce certificate/ order or death certificate of former spouse
  • Important for EU-divorces (except divorces in Denmark) after the 1 March 2003: Please provide a Certificate referred to in Article 39 (Annex I) of Council Regulation (EC) No. 2201/2003 of 27 November 2003 concerning judgements in matrimonial matters issued by the Court where the marriage was dissolved
  • Naturalisation certificate for naturalised German nationals or “Staatsangehörigkeitsausweis” (if applicable)
  • proof of residence in Australia (e.g. Australian driver's licence)
  • German deregistration certificate (Abmeldebescheinigung) from your last German place of residence or current registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung) from your most recent address in Germany
  • Translations of foreign documents (usually not required for English or “international” documents, for example international birth certificates)
  • Birth certificates for all your children
  • In case of a marriage registered in Germany, an extract of the family register or the marriage register


Two different fees incur;

1) Fees to be paid at your appointment at the (Honorary) Consulate for certifying your signature on the application form (25 EUR) and certifying the copies to be sent to the Registry Office in Germany (10 EUR per document). All fees to be in paid in AUD according to current exchange rate.

2) Fees charged by the Registry Office in Germany for processing your application and issueing a name certificate. These fees are to be paid directly to the Registry Office per bank Transfer, they cannot be paid to the Consulates in Australia. Once your application is processed in Germany, you will receive an email with payment details.

Application form and data protection information

Top of page