Pension matters

Foto eines älteren Ehepaares beim Spaziergang

Älteres Ehepaar beim Spaziergang, © colourbox.com


General Information / Social Security Agreement

You were working in Australia before or you are intending to emigrate to Australia? You are an Australian national working in Germany now? Perhaps you are wondering how your work in different countries will affect your pension in the future since there are different social security systems in Australia and Germany.
Although that is correct, we can reassure you. Germany and Australia have concluded an agreement to absorb possible disadvantages for you. This brochure of the Deutsche Rentenversicherung informs you about the details of the Social Security Agreement between Germany and Australia.

brochure of the Deutsche Rentenversicherung

Website Deutsche Rentenversicherung

Life certificates for recipients of German old age pensions

Once every year you are requested by your German pension authority to submit a life certificate. If you do not present the certificate in time, your pension payments may be suspended. It is therefore important that you fill in the life certificate form completely and always remember to sign it.

In order to have the document certified with an official seal and signature you should go to one of the following places:

  • your local Centrelink branch
  • Justice of Peace
  • your bank manager
  • police
  • hospital, Red Cross
  • Notary Public
  • the pastor of your congregation

Any other verification, e.g. by a post office, GP or pharmacist, will not be recognised!


Should you not receive your pension payments from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung DRV (German Federal Pension Fund) but from a different insurance carrier please pay close attention to the information regarding the verification of your life certificate in the accompanying letter. In these exceptional cases a certification by the competent German mission may be requested.

If you are unable to sign the life certificate yourself because of illness, you need to ask your doctor to confirm this on the life certificate form.

Medical confirmation

If you are no longer in possession of a valid photo ID-document (e.g. passport driver's licence), you can obtain a photo card from the RTA. The German pension authorities accept this document as sufficient proof of ID.

You then have to send the completed and verified life certificate directly to your pension authority in Germany.
If you have any questions, please also contact your pension authority directly.

Deutsche Rentenversicherung Nord
Friedrich-Ebert-Damm 245
D-22159 Hamburg

Tel. +49 (0)40 53000
Email: info@drv-nord.de

Pensions for former workers in a ghetto

For persons persecuted under National Socialism, periods of employment in a ghetto that was situated in a territory occupied by the German Reich or in a territory incorporated into it are under certain pre-conditions considered German contribution periods. From these periods a German pension can be paid also abroad. Please also note the new version of the directive on a payment in recognition of ghetto work; the deadline for applications has been abolished.

01_Revised ghetto work recognition guidelines

02_Information concerning the payment of amounts to victims of persecution in recognition of work in a ghetto which did not constitute forced labour

03_Application for a one-time pension substitution supplement

04_Information on the entitlement to German pensions for former workers in a ghetto

05_Information for persons who are already in receipt of a ZRBG pension

06_Claim for old-age pension for former ghetto workers residing outside Germany

07_Claim for widow's/widower's pension for survivors of former ghetto workers residing outside Germany

Australian-German Welfare Society Sydney

The AGWS aims to support Australians with a German-speaking background. Our clients are mainly elderly migrants. Through regular meetings and outings we create an environment of trust and friendship, fighting loneliness and isolation so often connected to old age. Visits of those not able to join are organised by the AGWS. Furthermore, the AGWS certifies life certificates for German pension authorities and offers general advice about German pension matters.

Website of the Australian-German Welfare Society Sydney

Publication: Compensation for National Socialist Injustice

Top of page