Driver's licence


Short-term stay in Germany (less than 185 days)

When staying in Germany temporarily (less than 185, e.g. as a tourist), you are permitted to drive a motor vehicle if you have a valid Australian driver's license together with an official translation into German.
Translations of Australian driver's licenses can, for example, be obtained at the ADAC, a German automobile club. Please make sure to submit your original (!) Australian driver's license to an ADAC office in Germany or send it by registered mail to the ADAC at the following address:
ADAC Hessen-Thüringen
Abteilung Führerschein-Übersetzung
Grabenstraße 5
65183 Wiesbaden, Germany
Ph: +49 (0)611 377 073

Long-term stay in Germany (more than 185 days)

If you reside in Germany continuously for a period of 185 days or more (more than six months), you will be deemed to have established a “regular place of residence” there. Consequently, your Australian driver’s license must be converted to a German driver’s license within six months. Please note that Australian learner licenses (category L) cannot be converted to German driver’s licenses.
To convert your Australian driver’s license (category C and R) to a German driver’s license it is no longer necessary to pass a theoretical and a practical driving test.
Also provisional licenses / probationary licenses (category P / P2) will be converted with the exception of those issued in New South Wales and motorcycle P licences issued in Western Australia.

For more information on converting your Australian driver’s license to a German one, please contact the competent driver licensing agency (Führerscheinstelle) of your place of residence in Germany.

Australian Capital Territory
C, R (also provisional licenses P)
New South Wales
C, R
Northern Territory
C, R (also provisional licenses P)
C, R (also provisional licenses P2)
South Australia
C, R (also provisional licenses P2)
C, R (also provisional licenses P2)
C, R (also probationary licenses P2)
Western Australia

C (also provisional license P),

R (not provisional license P2)

Regulation on minimum age

Additionally the fact is pointed out that from 1 July 2011 a regulation of minimum age for holders of foreign driver’s licenses has come into force according to which the license is not to be used if the holder has not reached a minimum of 18 years of age ( § 10 Abs. 1 Satz 1 Nummer 3 Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung (FeV)).

Additional content

Information of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure


Top of page