EU Blue Card


General information

The EU Blue Card scheme is aimed at qualified academic professionals employed in a position commensurate with their qualification and with a designated minimum remuneration (threshold as of 1 January 2024: €45,300 gross per annum, subject to change). Comprehensive information on the EU Blue Card is also available here

This visa category requires you to hold a German, a recognised or a comparable foreign academic degree or equivalent tertiary qualification and a concrete job offer that would provide annual gross earnings of at least 45,300 EUR. The qualification must be relevant for your intended employment. If you hold a foreign academic degree, please check whether both your degree and the awarding academic institution are listed as comparable in the official Anabin database. If the degree is not listed as “entspricht” (comparable) or “gleichwertig” (equivalent) and/or the institution is not classified as “H+”: please have the degree formally assessed through a “Statement of Comparability for Foreign Higher Education Qualifications” issued by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB), see here
Any equivalent foreign tertiary qualification must have been formally recognized, see here

Bottleneck professions

Academic professionals employed in a bottleneck profession (see list here) qualify for a EU Blue Card with a remuneration starting at €41,041.80 gross per annum (threshold as of 1 January 2024, subject to change).

New entrants to the labour market

The lower salary threshold of €41,041.80 gross per annum (threshold as of 1 January 2024, subject to change) also applies to new entrants to the labour market: if you obtained your last degree or equivalent qualification less than three years ago, you also qualify for an EU Blue Card.

IT professionals without formal qualification

IT professionals without a formal qualification, but having worked in IT for at least three of the past seven years and with professional experience at university level may also qualify for an EU Blue Card.

Some regulated professions such as medical doctors, nurses, teachers, architects, auditors, tax advisors and more require a formal license to practice their profession in Germany. Please consult the database on recognition in regulated professions

Visa-free travel

Canadian citizens may apply for their residence permits with the local immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) after arrival in Germany and without having obtained a visa prior to travelling to Germany. This privilege is also extended to citizens of Australia, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Korea (Republic) and the United States of America.

We strongly recommend contacting the local immigration office as soon as possible after your arrival in Germany in order to secure a timely appointment.

Please note that you may only take up employment once you have been issued a residence permit explicitly authorizing such employment. You may also choose to apply for a visa prior to travel, effectively permitting employment from the first day of visa validity.

Necessary documents

Please do not staple the documents!

  • Completed and signed application form:
    Please fill out the online application (VIDEX) form, print it out, sign it and submit it along with the other documents. Please ensure that the barcode is printed in high quality.
  • Printed and signed Declaration Use of Mail Services
  • Printed and signed Visa Declaration
  • Valid national passport (issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least 6 months from the intended arrival in Germany, with 2 subsequent blank pages) - original plus 1 copy of the data page
  • Recent biometrical passport photograph, stamped (35 x 45 mm, front facial view, white background, not older than 3 months). Digitally altered pictures will not be accepted. - please do not attach the photo to the application form
  • For non-Canadian citizens: Proof of Canadian residence permit, e.g. PR card, work/study permit - original plus 1 copy of the data page
  • Prepaid self-addressed Xpresspost envelope (Canada Post only), Regional standard to Ontario or National standard to all other provinces (shipment to a Canadian address only). Please note that the German Missions will not be held responsible for any loss or damage of passports due to postal or courier service delivery.
  • Proof of housing, e.g. hotel/hostel/AirBnB (min. for the first week) with full address
  • To be provided prior to final approval of the visa application:

    Proof of sufficient health/travel insurance coverage valid in Germany (including details about coverage: at least € 30,000 and including repatriation costs. Please highlight relevant passages in the insurance terms and print only the relevant pages)

  • Visa fee: see here

  • Curriculum vitae of professional career, including certificates, diplomas, etc.
  • German or otherwise recognised equivalent university degree
  • Proof of recognition of the foreign qualification:
    One print out each from the anabin database for the degree AND the university:
    • You can enquire on the database ANABIN (only in German) if your foreign degree of higher education is comparable AND if the institution of higher education is recognized.
    • If your degree is not evalutated in this database, you will need to apply for an individual evaluation of your degree in order to obtain a “Statement of Comparability for Foreign Higher Education Qualifications
    • If you wish to exercise a regulated profession (e.g. human medicine), you will need to have your degree recognized for Germany. You can find out whether your profession is regulated in the Recognition Finder on the “Recognition in Germany” portal. This website then also provides information about the recognition process. Detailed information can also be found on the Portal “Make it in Germany”.
  • IT professionals without formal qualification

    We will need to see evidence of your full employment history during the last 7 years, including reference letters outlining the duration of the employment and the exact areas of responsibilities held and, if applicable, obtained certificates (e.g. ITIL, CITRIX, CISCO)

  • Original and copy of pre-approval from the German labour agency (“Vorabzustimmung”) OR
    Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis” (declaration on contract of employment) completed and signed by the employer
  • Proof of stay in Canada (e.g. employment/student confirmation)

Incomplete application may result in the rejection of your application. You might have to come again for a new appointment.

Please note that you may be asked to present additional documents. Submission of the required documents does not guarantee that a visa will be granted.

Additional information and appointment booking

  • Once you have obtained your visa please check carefully that all entries are correct and in accordance with your application. Please inform the visa section immediately if there are any mistakes.
  • Your entry visa will allow you to travel within the Schengen area. However please be aware that you will be still subject to the 90 days within 180 days rule outside of Germany.
  • Upon your arrival the border authorities may examine whether the requirements for your entry continue to be valid. Entry may be refused by the border authorities although you are in possession of a valid visa. We advise you to carry with you documents giving evidence to the purpose of your stay.
  • Please do not forget to register at the registration office (Meldebehörde) shortly after you arrive in Germany and to make an appointment with the foreigners authority (Ausländerbehörde). Be aware that some foreigners authorities have long waiting times for appointments.

All Canadian residents need to apply at the Consulate General in Toronto in person. You will have to prepare all the necessary documents (see above) and book an appointment online.

Top of page