General information

Do I need a visa?

For stays of less than 90 days: Australian citizens do not require a visa for an internship if they have a certificate of agreement (ZAV certificate) from the “Zentrale Auslands- und Fachvermittlung” (ZAV) in Germany. This also applies to nationals of other countries who are allowed to stay in Schengen countries for up to 90 days without a visa or if they have a German or EU scholarship.

For stays of more than 90 days: Australian citizens require a visa or residence permit for stays of more than 90 days.

Australian citizens as well as citizens of Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Korea, the United Kingdom and the United States of America can apply for a residence permit after entering Germany at the local immigration authority, without applying for a visa beforehand. Please note that until the work permit has been issued you will not be able to work yet.

If you want to start working immediately after your arrival in Germany, you should apply for a visa about 8-10 weeks prior to the intended departure.

Internships related to your field of study

You are enrolled at an Australian university (if you are studying part-time or distance learning, your studies must take up significantly more than 50% of your current living situation). You will need an original certificate of enrollment as proof. Please have the relevant form (Federal Employment Agency website) completed by your university and send it to your employer in Germany together with a copy of your passport.

  • You have already completed at least 4 semesters
  • The intended internship is directly related to your university studies
  • The internship is limited to a maximum duration of 12 months
  • The internship salary is at least € 939 gross per month for a weekly working time of 40 hours. If no salary or a lower salary is paid, you will need a declaration of commitment or proof of sufficient funds to cover your living expenses.

As an internship involves taking up work, prior agreement from the ZAV is required for taking up work - even if the internship is unpaid.

Your internship provider in Germany must submit the application for agreement to the ZAV Student Placement Service. Your employer can find the application form, information on the procedure and the necessary documents as well as the contact address of the ZAV in the leaflet “Studienfachbezogene Praktika in Deutschland für Studierende aus dem Ausland” on the website of the Federal Employment Agency.

As soon as the employer has received the certificate of agreement from the ZAV (ZAV certificate), they will forward it to you so that you can submit the visa application.

Government internships, EU-funded internships and internships as part of official exchange programs

Internships for specialists and managers who receive a scholarship from German public funds or who are funded within the framework of official EU programs such as TACIS, ERASMUS, etc., as well as internships within the framework of the international exchange program of associations and public institutions or student organizations (e.g. DAAD, etc.) do not require approval from the ZAV. You can submit the visa application directly to your German mission abroad.

Internships arranged by the Federal Employment Agency with a maximum duration of 9 months

This includes, for example, interns placed by the ZAV (e.g. hotel management students placed in the hotel industry) for whom the ZAV has issued a placement confirmation.

Necessary documents

Please do not staple the documents!

  • Completed and signed application form
    Please fill out the online application form, print it out, sign it and submit it along with the other documents. Please ensure that the barcode is printed in high quality.
    Only if the online application form is not available, you can print out this application form and fill it out by hand.
  • Recent passport photograph (35 x 45 mm, front facial view, white background)
  • Your national passport (validity of which should still be for at least 6 months from the intended arrival in Germany) - original plus 1 copy of the data page
  • Proof of visa status in Australia (VEVO) (if you are not an Australian citizen)
  • Internship contract from German company (including full address of the company) where you intend to have your internship, also indicating the salary
  • Letter from your Australian university confirming that internship is part of the course (if applicable)
  • Evidence of health/travel insurance valid in Germany covering the first 3 months - including details about coverage (at least € 30,000 and including repatriation costs; coverage for pandemics like e.g. Covid19. Please highlight relevant passages in the insurance terms and print only the relevant pages)
  • Proof of accommodation in Germany (e.g. renting contract, hostel reservation, invitation letter in case of private accommodation)
  • Prepaid registered mail envelope with your address (if you request return by mail). Please note that the German Missions will not be held responsible for any loss or damage of passports due to postal or courier service delivery.
  • Visa fee: 75 EUR by credit card (VISA or MasterCard) or equivalent in cash (AUD). Other payment methods (e.g. with smart watch, mobile phone) not accepted.

Please note that we can process only complete applications. If you hand in your application with one or several documents listed above missing, you will have to come again for a new appointment.

Please note that you may be asked to present additional documents.

Additional information

  • Upon your arrival the border authorities may examine whether the requirements for your entry continue to be valid. Entry may be refused by the border authorities although you are in possession of a valid visa. We advise you to carry with you documents giving evidence to the purpose of your stay.
  • Once you have obtained your visa please check carefully that all entries are correct and in accordance with your application. Please inform the visa section immediately if there are any mistakes.
  • Your entry visa will allow you to travel within the Schengen area. However please be aware that you will be still subject to the 90 days within 180 days rule outside of Germany.

Appointment booking

Residents of any states and territories of Australia, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu or Nauru need to apply at the Consulate General in Sydney in person. You will have to prepare all the necessary documents (see above) and book an appointment online.

Application form and information on data protection

Top of page